Monday, July 8, 2013

Raw appeal

I'm not quite sure why, but I have always had an extreme fondness for countries that aren't as "developed" as the USA.

I think it's their rawness. They feel so real. You can't escape the realities of life in a place where poverty and wealth exist in such close proximity to one another. It is both tragic and beautiful.

I distinctly remember landing in Bangkok and being greeted by so many new and different sights, sounds, and smells.


I love the smell of diesel; it reminds me that I am in a far-away place.


The glowing, neon lights look so bright and happy, and yet, it seems they are sometimes there to cover something up.

As an American, I am conditioned to maintain and expand my level of comfort, which can sometimes cause me to become isolated and out of touch. Travelling refreshes the soul and reminds me who I am, and that more stuff is not always the cure.
-mr.h

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...