Monday, November 18, 2013

unforgettable night on frenchman street // new orleans

Mrs. H and I just got back from a weekend couples trip to New Orleans. Being from Mobile, I went to New Orleans several times a year growing up. I have always loved the city, but this trip gave me the opportunity to see New Orleans from a different angle.



We crashed at the home of some friends - on Bourbon Street no less. People watching from their balcony could be a weekend getaway in itself (i.e. the across the street neighbor who sat indian style and stared at us as if we were invaders to [his/her???] space). 

A highlight of the weekend was exploring Frenchman Street, the authentic first cousin to Bourbon Street. We started our time by exploring the Frenchman Art Market, the refreshingly uncluttered street market with art you might actually want to display in your home. 


Frenchman Art Market
Everybody needs light-up furniture

The Spotted Cat took the crown as my new favorite bar in New Orleans. I'm no bar critic, but I have well defined opinions of what I don't like. Upon entering The Spotted Cat, I could tell we were in for a treat. 


Meschiya Lake and The Little Big Horns were playing, and we all were rapt from the first note. After doing a little research, I discovered the Meschiya has quite the story to tell (she was a light-bulb eating burlesque clown in a former life - no lie). I don't think I have ever seen a group perform at a bar with so much passion. The musicians were like school boys who had just held a girls hand for the first time. Needless to say, The Spotted Cat can expect to have a repeat visit from Mr. and Mrs. H.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...